Resting and Relaxing

Our time in Marysville was short, sweet and ended in rain! We thought we were going to make it through the spot without any liquid sunshine but alas it started about 10:30 Saturday night and continued through Sunday evening. We were only open 1 hour on Sunday ~ bummer on one hand but meant we were done with everything by 11:30 p.m. We had anticipated working till about 3:00 a.m.

Our time in Marysville was filled with surprises and seeing good friends. Saturday morning we were reading and checking out a few things on the computer when the phone rang and heard a familiar voice. Marla and Glenn Tuski were in the bone yard to see us! They were on their way to Oregon for a vacation and stopped to visit. We were able to spend about 45 minutes together. What a pleasant way to start our day! I took pictures but will have to post them on Thursday once my phone is charged and I can send them to my email account. Later in the afternoon Kristy, Mychal and Kodie stopped by the carnival on their way to Woodland Park Zoo for a Camp Fire Overnighter. It was fun to see them all and get lots of hugs. It was so cute to see Kodie talking to Ron through the little ticket window of the ticket box. Again, pictures will be posted on Thursday.

I had a great week in the office. Learned many new things but payroll is payroll just doing it on a different computer system. Accuracy is the key. Sunday evening when we were trying to track down the last of the time sheets for the day I mentioned to Richard, one of the ride jocks, that everyone knows me as Alice the Grandma, the ticket seller, the nice lady but now they were going to meet Alice the Payroll Queen. Richard just laughed but later when I told Ron he said they better watch out. Being responsible for someone’s money is a lot of responsibility and I take it very serious.

We made the jump on Monday from Marysville to the bone yard in Puyallup. We left the bone yard about 10:45 and then went to do laundry, stopped at a truck canopy shop to pick up a key for a friend, drove back past the laundromat to the Post Office. We were just two buildings down from the Post Office while we were doing laundry but drove six miles from the laundromat to the Post Office ~ for sure next time we will check Maggie (our trusted GPS) before we start driving all over town. After picking up boxes to mail packages to the grands we drove north to Costco, spent way too much money and then went to Walmart for the things that Cosco does not carry like a half gallon of milk, small family size packs of meat instead of huge packages for which we have no freezer space and to return Ron’s tennis shoes that we bought in April in Wenatchee. While in Portland the stitching had come out of one of the shoes. We paid $28 for them and thought they should last more than two months. We returned them without any problems.

We then made our way to Puyallup, stopping at the Post Office to drop off the packages that I filled while Ron was driving down the road. Got there at 4:55 p.m. ~ they close at 5:00 p.m. but we made it and the packages should be arriving later in the week. We then headed over to the bone yard. We are parked on a flat cement driveway for a change. It was nice to get leveled and hooked up and settled in. We had roasted chicken, fresh strawberries and lots of asparagus. We have decided that we won’t be buying asparagus from Costco anymore ~ too much for one meal.

Today is one of our two days off this week. We slept in 🙂 and then had biscuits and gravy for breakfast. A special treat for Ron as I only make that about two or three times a year. After breakfast I cleaned up the kitchen and Ron did a small plumbing repair on one of the condo’s bathrooms. Sure wish he got paid his plumbing rates for those types of jobs 🙂

Early afternoon we decided to walk into downtown Puyallup. We walked past a few businesses and found a second hand clothing store. I went inside while Ron sat on a flower bench ~ something about him not liking shopping. I scored on a pair of black slacks for work. They were marked $16 but when I went to pay for them they were 50% off! Now I have all the work clothes I need for the rest of the season ~ two pairs of black slacks, two pairs of black capris and two pair of work shorts (company approved). In the office I don’t have to wear the uniform shirt but a nice blouse so I am set. We walked some more through town and then crossed the street to head back to the bone yard. We stopped and got an Italian soda (the one’s from The C Shop are so much better) and a lemonade. We found a little wine shop and went in to browse. We found a new wine that is like Bailey’s. It is wine and chocolate and is best if served over ice. Of course, we had to get some. Two more stops at Ace’s Hardware and Safeway and we made our way back to the motor home. We then spent time reading and on the computer.

For dinner tonight we had roast beef, potatoes, broiled onions and sauteed mushrooms with fresh tomatoes. We will have fresh strawberries later this evening for dessert. I had cooked the roast, potatoes and onions in the crock pot. It was a delicious dinner. And we have roast beef for sandwiches for the rest of the week.

This week our schedule includes working tomorrow. I will be working with Debbie again this week. We were both relieved when Rob found out on Sunday that we have her for one more week. I told Rob I am quick learner but not that quick. I am hoping that she can go with us to Ft. Lewis before they let me do the office on my own. I do plan on taking copious notes this week while we are working together. I took lots last week in Marysville but want to take even more this week. Tomorrow Debbie and I will set up the office for the week, get the money ready for the ticket sellers and finish up the books from last week. She has to show me how to get them ready to be sent to Portland. Ron will be doing set up of the rides tomorrow. They have eight rides to set up. We start at 8:00 tomorrow morning and should be done by 5:00 p.m. Ron for sure has Thursday off. I find out tomorrow if Rob has things that Debbie and I have to do on Thursday. At this point he does not think I will be working Thursday either ~ that would be so nice to have two days off this week.

The hours of the Taste of Tacoma, being held at Pt. Defiance Park, are 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and from 11:00 to 8:00 p.m. on Sunday. We will definitely be working till the wee hours of the morning on Monday as the guys do tear down and Debbie and I do payroll and finalize the books.

Praising the Lord for a good week of work and being able to learn and absorb new things quickly.

Had word that Theresa continues to recuperate from her surgery. They have had her up and walking and doing a little each day. She is still in quite a bit of pain so would appreciate continued prayers for her and Rick as they continue down this journey.

Thanking the Lord for a good jump with no problems with the motor home. Always a good way to end a jump.

If you are in the area, feel free to stop by and say hello. We loved our visitors last weekend and would love to see more of you while we are on the road.

Thanks for all the comments to my blog. It is always good to hear from others. Will write more later.

Love and miss you all.

6 responses to “Resting and Relaxing”

  1. It sounds like a good week so far. The pants on sale..who-hoo!!I love when I find a great sale.Blessings..Cindy and Walker

  2. Good job learning about the payroll system for the carnival. Knowing a few different jobs makes for good \”job security\”. Enjoy your time in Puyallup, Ali and Ron.

  3. Thanks for the update, Alice. It sounds like your new job is going well. I'm glad you were close enough to town to be able to do some errands. We are praying for Theresa and Rick.Maybe you will have some sunshine at Point Defiance? We can hope, anyway! 😉

  4. Chocolate wine that tasts like Baileys that you pour over ice cream? How great is that! Oh my gosh.

  5. Glad to hear from you guys again,we know you are very busy with you duties, and congratulations on your new job Ali, Ron is right though you will have a lot more responsiblity and people can get cranky if they perceive their pay isn't right. Glad to see you got some time with your Grands. We have Adam for a weeks staycation this week. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

  6. Good to hear from you and get updated on your activities. Sounds like you are having a great week and staying busy. Sounds like the job is going well…good deal.Take care!Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: